What is VIPKID?
VIPKID is a rapidly growing company based out of China. They use Native English speakers to teach their elementary aged students English. While this concept may sound strange to some of us in North America, it is an expanding field in China. This article describes some of the expansion ideas that VIPKID has for its 200,000 students.
Schedule of a VIPKID Teacher
All VIPKID teachers make their own schedule. There is no minimum or maximum hours that you can work. The hours that you work are in Beijing time so you must keep this in mind when thinking about what hours you would like to teach. Once you set your schedule, parents will select you to teach their child for a 25-minute period. You will receive access to the lesson that you will teach as soon as you are booked so that you may prepare on your own time.
Personally, I choose to teach only about one hour a day Monday through Friday in the morning before my husband heads to work, and then a few more hours on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Some choose to work for VIPKID full time and others like myself choose to work part-time because they could use the extra money and or just enjoy teaching.
Ready to Apply?
The first thing you need to do is make sure that you meet the basic requirements:
- Hold at least a Bachelors Degree (any field)
- Be a Native English speaker
- One year of teaching experience (this can be anything from traditional teaching to tutoring to mentoring)
- Have a strong internet connection from wherever you plan on teaching from
- Have a webcam that can be used with your laptop or desktop
Do you meet the requirements? Congratulations! Go ahead and use my personal referral link to apply
Why the “personal” referral link?
To be perfectly honest with you, I do receive a payment if you are hired and you used my link. But that is only if you are HIRED and have taught your first class. Therefore, if you choose to apply and use my link I will go ahead and contact you via email, to answer any questions you may have and help you out along the way with tips. Don’t want my help? That is fine also, you are still welcome to apply through the link above.
Once your basic information is reviewed and approved you can schedule your first interview that will consist of a 10 minute teaching demo. For this interview be sure to have:
- A headset. Earbuds will sometimes create an echo so it is best to buy a headset. If you don’t already have one I recommend a simple one like this which is the one I personally use.
- An orange shirt. This is not a requirement for the interview but it is once you start working. I do recommend spending a couple of dollars on one so that it shows you are ready to start teaching. I bought a few of these once I started teaching. They are inexpensive and very comfortable.
That’s it! After you apply you will be on your way to becoming a VIPKID teacher and joining a community of people who LOVE their job!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites